The world is a chaotic place, and far too often our attention is split into a million directions at once. For many of us, simply maintaining focus is a task all unto itself, and is a skill we want to consciously practice and develop in order to perform to the best of our abilities in the workplace.
So how can the FISH! Philosophy help us build and maintain focus in the workplace? It may not seem like the 4 Pillars of FISH! directly relate to this very internal skill, but the truth is each and every one has a place in helping us focus at work.
Be There: Give each task the attention it deserves
When we talk about Be There as a pillar of the FISH! Philosophy, it’s often couched in language about emotional availability and supporting those around us. While all of that is true and important, the core of Be There has nothing to do with those around us, and everything to do with approaching any situation with focus, attention, and mindfulness.
Despite all our beliefs to the contrary, multitasking is largely considered a myth by those who study the human brain. We simply aren’t wired to perform multiple tasks at once at maximum efficiency, and when we try, we end up performing every task with only partial attention and skill. When we make the decision to Be There, we’re making the decision to focus single-mindedly on the task at-hand, working at it until it’s complete rather than letting our attention pull in several different directions. Pick one thing to do and you’ll do it well – that’s how Being There helps us build and maintain focus.
Play: Take a brain break and come back energized
Normally when it comes to FISH! we talk at-length about how “Play” is about flexing your mind and imagination without fear of judgment or repercussions – but not today. Today, we’re going to talk about Play as, well… play!
We can’t maintain focus forever. No matter how much we believe otherwise, we simply can’t stare at our work for hours on end and hope to stay productive. Medical guidance recommends taking 5-minutes every hour to rest your eyes from the screen, stretch your body, and give your brain a break it deserves – and we believe the same. Take a quick walk, share a joke with a coworker, play a small game, or just do anything that isn’t the task you need to get done. That way, when your break is over, you can come back and tackle that task with complete focus and attention.
Make Their Day: A strong team helps everyone stay focused
This should go without saying, but your working environment is one of the biggest factors in how productive and focused you can be while working – and that includes not just the built space you’re in, but the people you’re around as well. We’ve all felt the difference in how effective we are when the whole office is in good spirits, focused on their work, and humming away tackling project after project.
While we can’t control how everyone around us behaves, we can influence the vibes of the office by how we act. This isn’t just about buckling down and working hard and hoping others notice; it’s about actively supporting others – Making Their Day with words of affirmation and encouragement, small moments of socialization, surprise treats or activities, and more will help others do their best work, which will help you do yours in return.
Choose Your Attitude: A good mood will bring good results
Maintaining focus is (understandably) hardest when we’re anxious, preoccupied, upset, or agitated. While all these emotions serve a purpose and we don’t want to pass judgment by labeling any particular emotion “negative,” it’s easy to see why these particular feelings can keep us from tending to tasks at-hand.
Fortunately, by practicing Choose Your Attitude, we can recognize when we’re in these heightened emotional states and make a conscious choice about how we act in response – whether that’s to take action to correct whatever is upsetting us, or to let it go (or set it aside for later) so we can better-focus on more pressing tasks. Choose Your Attitude isn’t about suppressing or hiding emotions; it’s all about putting you in control of how you respond to them!
Ideas to Reflect On:
- How often do you take a breather at work? If it isn’t often enough, how can you schedule small brain breaks throughout the day?
- When something upsets you at work, does it derail your day? How could Choosing Your Attitude help you avoid breaking focus?
- Do you find yourself having to multi-task often? How can you structure your work day so you’re only focusing on one task at once?
Want to Implement FISH! in your organization?
Are you a leader? Do you train others? Do you want others to be leaders?
Charthouse Learning, the creator of the world-famous, award-winning, FISH! film is offering an in-person, 2-day workshop, interactive Train-the-Trainer lead by our Senior Trainer.
During our time together you’ll learn how to:
- Share the motivation and foundation of FISH!
- Introduce the FISH! film with the four practices.
- Present the invitation to apply the practices in everyday interaction with others.
- Build a sustainability and reinforcement program to transform the culture.
- Pick up tips from other FISH! Philosophers and develop a strategy to embed the practices into the DNA of your culture.
- Create an energized organization that is the “first choice” for employees, faculty, staff, leaders, and customers.
Plus, you will learn how to create a workplace where people choose to “be and bring” their best self everywhere, every day.
At the FISH! Train the Trainer you will:
- Dive Deep: Discover The FISH! Philosophy – full of “A-ha!” takeaways and perspective-shifting realizations.
- Transform: Make the four FISH! practices – Play, Be There, Make Their Day and Choose Your Attitude – an essential part of your professional and personal skill set.
- Discover: Learn practical ways to apply the FISH! practices to improve teamwork, service, leadership, retention and performance.
- Develop: Brainstorm strategies to embed The FISH! Philosophy into the DNA of your culture, strengthening your mission, vision and values.
- Collaborate: Learn and laugh with like-minded folks from across the globe.
Click Here for More FISH! Train the Trainer Information
The first step in a successful FISH! journey is a remarkable introduction. A FISH! Philosophy kickoff event:
- Inspires people to find the joy they have been missing at work.
- Teaches four powerful skills you can use immediately for team and personal success.
- Unites team members to accomplish any goal.
- Is incredibly fun . . . and people learn more when they have a good time!
The FISH! Starter Kit provides all the tools you need to plan and lead a great kickoff.
Click Here for More FISH! Starter Kit Information
Whether you work in business, education, or healthcare, FISH! offers accessible, intuitive solutions to empower your workers, bring your team together, and introduce Play into your organization. We invite you to contact us today at 800.695.4534 or email@example.com to speak with our cultural specialists, who will help you find the right FISH! Philosophy solutions that will nurture your organizational culture and motivate your team!
Join Us on Social Media: